top of page

Building Regualtions

The Building Regulations are objective, unlike planning permission, and a house will pass or fail according to a set of regulations.

The regulations cover all types of building works including new buildings and extensions. Major alterations to the fabric of the building, services, and underpinning are also included. Building Regulations also need to be obtained when changing of use, such as barn conversions.


Also, alterations to an existing building may affect the adjacent fabric, services, and fittings resulting in them less compliant with Building Regulations than they previously needed to be obtained. For example, if you replace external windows or doors the building should comply regarding energy efficiency, fire escape, air supply for boilers, etc, and ventilation.


KHA has many years of previous experience working with local councils and private building control officers to obtain the regulations certificates. 


Building Regulation Breakdown:

Part A: Structure

Part B: Fire safety

Part C: Site preparation and resistance to contaminants and moisture

Part D: Toxic substances

Part E: Resistance to the passage of sound

Part F: Ventilation

Part G: Sanitation, hot water safety, and water efficiency

Part H: Drainage and waste disposal

Part J: Heat producing appliances and Fuel storage system

Part K: Protection from falling, collision, and impact

Part L: Conservation of fuel and power

Part M: Access to and use of buildings

Part N: Glazing - Safety in relation to impact, opening, and cleaning

Part P: Electrical safety

Part Q: Security - Dwellings


Please Note;

Building Regulations are minimum standards for design, construction, and alterations to every building new or existing. They are developed by the Government and approved by Parliament. The Building Regulations 2010 cover the construction and extension of buildings and are supported by Approved Documents which set out detailed practical guidance on compliance. Building regulations approval is different from planning permission and you might need both for your project.

bottom of page